We are part of doing HEVGA PhD school at the next summer (August 21-23), Mirjam has kicked balled rolling from the HEVGA side and I am doing a seesiin on game analysis methods. The CFP of the summer school below.
The Higher Education Video Game Alliance invites participants to its first Games Research Summer School in Skövde, Sweden, during August 21-23.
The HEVGA Europe Games Research Summer School will be open to PhD students and graduate students who are working in areas connected to digital games (for example game studies, game design, game programming, game art, games in society, …) in Skövde, Sweden, from 21st to 23rd of August 2019. The Summer School requires the participants to submit an abstract of their ongoing research work and they need to prepare a presentation to be held at the school (both in English). The abstract should explain the aim of the research in terms of publications and dissertation work. Both early PhD students who are presenting conceptual work and planning for research as well as advanced students who near their defense are welcome.
The Summer School will last for three days during which the students will present their work and get individual prepared feedback from a senior researcher and a peer. The summer school also offers lectures and workshops led by senior researchers. The topics for this year are:
- Games and learning (Jonas Linderoth)
- Feminist perspectives for inclusive design (Lissa Holloway-Attaway)
- Game Analysis methods (Petri Lankoski)
- Design science in serious games (Per Backlund)
- Games and Political Participation (Patrick Prax)
There will also be a seminar that allows participants to find collaboration possibilities and partners and formulate possible topics and agendas for shared research projects.
If you are interested in participating, then please sent us (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- An academic text that you are currently working on (between 500 and 1500 words excluding references)
- A short description of the over-all (research) project this work is a part of. This could be your dissertation, a master thesis, or another kind of publication or design work.
- A brief CV showing your academic and professional work related to games
- Deadline for Application: 18th of March 2019
- Note of acceptance: 25th of March 2019
- Summer School: 21st to 23rd of August 2019
(Social Lunch, optional)
Session 1: Jonas Linderoth
13:00 – 14:45 Lecture 1: “Games, learning and education – not the usual story”
15:00 – 15:30 Workshop 1
Session 2: Lissa Holloway-Attaway
16:00 – 17:45 Lecture 2: “Gender, Technology and Culture: exploring feminist perspectives for inclusive design”
18:00 – 18:30 Workshop 2
9:00 – 11:45 Student presentations with in-depth feedback from one speaker and one participant; Each participant also gives feedback to one peer
Session 3: Petri Lankoski
13:00 – 14:45 Lecture 3: “Game Analysis”
15:00 – 15:30 Workshop 3
16: 00 – 17:30 Collaborative workshop to plan collaboration, pitch projects, consider publication venue, funding agency, and theoretical and methodological framework
18:00 – 22:00 Social Event and dinner
Session 4: Per Backlund
9:00 – 10:45 Lecture 4 “Design science research in serious games”
11:00 – 11:30 Workshop 4
Session 5: Patrick Prax
13:00 – 14:45 Lecture 5: “Political Participation and Games as Civic Culture”
15:00 – 15:30 Presentation of the results of the Collaboration Workshop
If you have any questions, please contact Patrick Prax (email@example.com) and Henrik Warpefelt (firstname.lastname@example.org).